- How do I select the right pool builder?
- Will a pool increase the value of my home?
- What about warranties? Is my investment well-protected?
- I’ve heard that having a swimming pool can be a lot of work. How much work is involved in owning and caring for a swimming pool?
- I sometimes see advertisements promising pools at very low prices. Should I consider this option?
- Why do cost estimates vary so much when the pools seem to be the same?
- What factors affect the cost of my swimming pool?
- Should I consider building my own pool as a homeowner?
- How should I decide on the design of my pool?
- I have a small and difficult yard to work with. Can I still have a pool?
- Are there any additional options available to add to my pool?
- Will my electrical bill go up a lot?
- How long will my pool take to build?
- Why should I go with gunite over a vinyl liner?
- What is Gunite?
- I have heard gunite pools can crack, is this true?
- What does a gunite pool typically cost?
- What is the company’s reputation in the community?
- Do you know a friend or neighbor who has used the same company with good results? If not, can the company provide you with dozens of reliable references or customer report cards?
- How does the company treat you as a potential customer?
- How long has the company been in business, and how long have they been building in your area?
- How many pools have they built?
- Will the company provide you with a clear written estimate so that you’re not confused about what work will be done?
- Will they finish the project on time?
- Is the company in good standing with your local Building Department?
- Will the company add hidden charges after the construction process has begun?
- Is the company financially stable so that there is no risk that you’ll be left with an unfinished pool if they go out of business?
- Will the company be careful to remove or take care of landscaping and other outdoor structures?
- Will they keep your property clean and safe throughout the construction process?
South Shore Gunite Pools & Spas, Inc. is well known within the industry for offering unparalleled customer service. From helping you understand all of the design options, to clearly communicating what you can expect during the construction process, we make sure that you are well informed during each phase of the project. And as the largest pool builder in the Northeast with thousands of pools built, we set the standard as the industry leader. In fact, 98% of all our projects are finished on time and within budget!
2. Will a pool increase the value of my home?
Yes. Most studies show that a pool will increase the value of your home anywhere between 7% and 15%, depending on where your house is located. It will also continue to increase in value throughout the years, just like you home.
3. What about warranties? Is my investment well-protected?
Warranties are very important. At South Shore Gunite Pools & Spas, Inc. we provide you with the strongest guarantee in the swimming pool industry. We are confident in the product we build and we offer a warranty that backs it up. You should always ask for and compare the warranties when requesting estimates from builders. You should also remember that a warranty is only as good as the company that issues it. Dozens of pool builders go out of business each year. And if they’re gone, so is your warranty.
South Shore Gunite Pools & Spas, Inc. has been building pools for more than 35 years. In fact, some of the very first pools we built in the 70s are still in great shape and get regular use. We build our pools to last, and we’ll always be here to stand by our swimming pools in the future. Anyone can offer a "lifetime warranty," but if they aren't in business for the duration of your pool's life, then you haven't got much of a warranty.
4. I've heard that having a swimming pool can be a lot of work. How much work is involved in owning and caring for a swimming pool?
In the past, pool maintenance was more of a chore. But with today's technology and conveniences, owning a swimming pool is easier than owning a car! Pool chemical testing and maintenance, cleaning, and preprogrammed filtration and heating can all be automated. Automatic pool cleaners and various sanitizing devices also make your pool simple to maintain. Your only concern will be finding more time to enjoy your pool or spa!
5. I sometimes see advertisements promising pools at very low prices. Should I consider this option?
It is actually possible to build a pool at a low price. But you should be aware that to build a low cost pool, equipment, structural elements, craftsmanship, and design are all compromised. Besides ending up with a pool that doesn’t fit your property because of improper design, using poor quality construction materials can also put you and your family at risk. The old adage is still true: You get what you pay for.
At SSG Pools, we know that the cost difference between a great job and a poor job doesn’t have to be significant. Your SSG Pool professional will work with you to determine a budget that meets your needs. We can custom design your pool to fit your financial parameters. The end result is a beautiful and dependable custom pool that is affordable and within your budget.
6. Why do cost estimates vary so much when the pools seem to be the same?
The price of a pool is determined by much more than just the size and shape of that pool. Unfortunately, many contractors don’t include important factors that affect cost in the actual estimate they give you. This also means that you can get hit with hidden charges after construction has begun. Some important things to consider are:
- Quality of Materials
- Design Expertise
- Underground Strength and Durability
- Unseen underground issues
- Customer Service
- Time Required for Construction
SSG Pools’ estimates always include the highest quality materials available, superior craftsmanship, expert design, and unparalleled customer service. You also get the knowledge and expertise of more than 35 years of custom pool building experience. And we never submit a low introductory bid with the intent of making expensive changes later.
7. What factors affect the cost of my swimming pool?
Surprisingly, construction costs for the pool structure itself do not vary greatly from pool to pool. Prices can be affected slightly by ease of access onto your property, demolition requirements prior to construction, and local permit costs. The size and design of the pool affect the cost too, but not as much as you might think.
Much of the variation in price is based on what is called "hardscape." Hardscape is what is placed around your pool to enhance its design. The size and materials used in your deck, patios, waterfalls, gazebos, planter walls, and other features can be simple or sensational. As the customer, you have the greatest influence on your total budget as you control the design of your pool's hardscape.
8. Should I consider building my own pool as a homeowner?
Never! And you can bet that equipment suppliers and other contractors will charge you more than the actual value of the materials and work. Even the experts encounter incredible challenges during pool construction. Years of experience, knowledge, and specific training lead to wise and innovative solutions that produce our superior quality finished products. At SSG Pools, we can offer you enormous buying power, efficient construction, and we also coordinate all of the work so that you experience no hassles and no headaches. Plus, everything is guaranteed.
9. How should I decide on the design of my pool?
Each property has unique features that should be considered when your pool is being designed. So does your family! At your request, a design expert from SSG Pools will meet with you at your home to discuss your pool needs and desires. They will ask you how you intend to use your pool. Is exercise important? How about family use? What about location? Where will the pool look best when viewed from your home? Our design expert may take photographs, video, or sketches of your yard. Then they'll prepare a custom design at no charge...a design that fits your needs AND your budget!
10. I have a small and difficult yard to work with. Can I still have a pool?
Expert builders can construct quality pools in yards of all shapes and sizes. Our expert design and engineering team can work with the most challenging properties. You’ll be surprised by our innovative solutions that can turn your dreams into a beautiful backyard resort. Before you give up on your impossibly small yard or hillside location, call us for design advice. It's free!
11. Are there any additional options available to add to my pool?
Technology is changing at an unprecedented rate, and swimming pools are no exception. Innovative water treatment options, fiber-optic lighting, spa products, remote controls, automatic cleaning systems, and many other options are now available to make your pool easier to maintain and more enjoyable than ever. Tell us what you would like, and we can show you how to do it.
12. Will my electrical bill go up a lot?
Utility bills vary depending on where you live and who your provider is, but average estimates show that utility bills only increase between $20 and $40 each month. But that's nothing when compared to the money you'd otherwise spend on entertainment, vacations, and trips to the community pool, including the expense of gasoline, food, and concessions. New technologies allow for much more energy efficient pumps and heaters that perform better with less electricity. These items can be added to older pools also.
14. Why should I go with gunite over a vinyl liner?
Gunite pools have many benefits over a vinyl liner pool. Vinyl liner pools only come in certain shapes where the options of a custom pool are very limited. Gunite pools are built to last forever where as a vinyl liner pool has an expiration date. The architectural options on a gunite pool are unlimited where the standard construction practices of a vinyl liner pool highly limit your options.
15. What is gunite?
Gunite is the same thing as concrete, it is essentially the same thing as the concrete in a house foundation or a concrete floor, the only real difference is the application process. Gunite is applied using compressed air to force the material down a hose and to be shot into place. The high velocity of the application makes the gunite stick to whatever it is shot against. The characteristics of gunite make it the perfect thing to build a pool; it allows very versatile shapes and designs without the use of extensive form work. However the complexity of the application makes it much more difficult to get a good finish result. This is why everyone applying gunite should have a certification from the American Shotcrete Association which shows that they have undergone the correct training and know how this product needs to be applied.
16. I have heard gunite pools crack, is this true?
Improper gunite application and incorrect steel structure assembly cause gunite pools to crack. The only circumstance that gunite pools crack is when the structure is not built properly or the gunite is not applied properly. SSG has had their basic pool structure professionally engineered and whenever an abnormal job comes along SSG has that individual job approved by a licensed structural engineer. Also SSG’s gunite applicators are professionally trained and certified to know the correct application of gunite. SSG also uses a 4:1 aggregate to cement mix which is much higher than most of the industry to ensure that we get a good strong installation. SSG’s employees build gunite pools for almost all of the YMCA’s and large universities in the northeast, if they trust an SSG gunite pool then why wouldn’t you?
17. What should I expect to pay on my new pool?
We recommend you match the quality of your pool to the quality of your home. Historically we have found that clients who spend 10%-15% of their home's value on their pool enjoy a finished product that matches their home nicely.